Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A trail of sheet music & 'Good Whiskey Blues'


The next show at the Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts is Dreamscapes. I pointed this out to my friends and asked to see their work in whatever media that deals with dreams.

I figured I would hear back from my friend Andrew Torch - he is a card-carrying member of the International Surrealist Group that traces lineage back to Breton; he almost only paints from dreams - and sure enough, Andy posted this image to me.

"'Good Whiskey Blues' was based on a dream..." Andy wrote.

"[Expletive] great!" I responded. "Want to write about the dream too?"

"I generally let my artwork speak for me," Andy wrote back. "This was a series of dreams over about a one year period, the trail of sheet-music actually morphed several times in various dreams from a large fabric and paper Chinese dragon (where about 6 people hold it up with poles and zig-zag it through a parade) to sheet-music and then back to a dragon..."

He added: "the Chinese-dragon version of this painting is scheduled to get painted some time this year."

*

Dreamscapes, organized by Francesca Herndon-Consagra, senior curator at the Pulitzer, opens with a public reception on Friday, February 11 from 5–9 p.m. and is open through August 13. The Pulitzer (3716 Washington Blvd.) is open and free to the public Wednesdays 125 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

No comments: